Mold Warning Signs – What to Look For
Mold Warning Signs – What to Look For – Locating and eradicating mold before it becomes worse later on is key. However, you should know that mold can pose health threats, especially if it’s toxic black mold or if it’s found in large quantities. You may consider cleaning it all up yourself, but think again. You could risk your safety and that of those around you if you touch it. That’s why you should always call in a professional for this job.
That said, there are certain ways you can identify the presence of mold visually on your own.
Here’s what to be on the lookout for:
- Strange smell: Featuring a strong, pungent smell, mold gives off an unpleasant odor to say the least. You’ll notice this smell particularly in small, confined spaces where mold tends to grow wildly, like in bathrooms, attics and crawlspaces. It can even live behind walls or wallpaper, so you might notice an unusual persistent odor but you may not know the source.
- Appearance: Black or brown in color, these small fuzzy dots can be in your shower stall, or on 2x4s in your attic. You may see them anywhere that you have a bit of moisture. The basement tends to be a breeding ground for mold, especially if you are prone to leaking and flooding. This is an invasive kind of fungi, so where you see a few spots, there will likely be more in the vicinity.
- Health symptoms: As we said before, you can’t always see mold. However, you may experience health symptoms of mold. From fatigue and headaches to allergy-type symptoms and wheezing, consider that mold could be the source of your woes – especially if you have exhausted all other resources. You may feel much better when out of the home, such as when at work, walking outside, or shopping at the mall. That could be a sign that your home is making you sick.
What to Do
If you suspect you have a mold problem in your home or business but aren’t sure, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Hire a professional mold inspector to visit the structure and take tests. You may have to hire a separate mold removal company to remove any mold that has been found. In any case, it’s important to let the professionals deal with this problem so you don’t inadvertently make it worse.
Keep in mind, a few specks in your shower aren’t necessarily harmful. It’s when mold clumps together unseen behind walls or grows out of control in your attic that you need to worry. Also, in the case of toxic black mold, this can lead to neurological effects over long-term exposure, which is another reason you need to involve a professional.
Nothing is more important than your health, so call Stock Environmental Consulting today at 732-383-5190.