How to Kill Mold: Vinegar or Ammonia? – Mold Testing Princeton

 In Inspections, Mold, Mold Removal

Mold testing Princeton – How to Kill Mold: Vinegar or Ammonia?

No one wants to know they have mold in their home or business. Not only can mold be unsightly, it can cause some pretty concerning health effects. While you shouldn’t attempt to remove bad cases of mold yourself, sometimes you may notice a few dots of it in your shower area. There are some things you can do to get rid of it on your own, provided you wear safety gloves and a mask.

You may wonder which is more effective at killing mold: vinegar or ammonia? Both have their pros and cons. Let’s take a look at each method.


This mild acid can kill about 82 percent of mold species, plus it’s non-toxic so it won’t pose a safety risk. Unlike bleach, which gives out dangerous fumes that can hurt the lungs, vinegar is a safe, effective solution that can get rid of small bouts of mold.

Pick up some white distilled vinegar at the store (it’s pretty cheap), pour it into a spray bottle and spray it directly onto the mold. Let it sit for about an hour, then wipe it down with a damp cloth. Allow to dry. To keep any surface, such as tubs, countertops and shower stalls, free of mold in the future, spray with vinegar once a week and let it sit. This should be enough to prevent re-growth of mold. If your bathroom tile flooring is prone to mold, especially in the corners, use vinegar when mopping as well.


If the vinegar doesn’t work and you need something a bit more potent, try ammonia. Just like bleach, this substance will kill virtually all instances of mold that appear on hard surfaces such as shower stalls and countertops. Don’t use it on soft surfaces such as wood or drywall, though. While extremely effective, it is also harsh and toxic. Keep bleach and ammonia away from each other; if combined, they will produce a poisonous gas. Same goes for chlorine and ammonia.

Once you’ve killed the mold, you’ll have to completely remove the dead spores, as they can still pose allergenic reactions if left there.

First, combine an even mix of clear ammonia and water, placing in a spray bottle. Spray on the mold and leave for a few hours. Wipe down with a damp cloth, rinse and dry. Throw out the cloths you used; don’t attempt to wash them.

Mold is relatively easy to remove in small cases. If you suspect you are dealing with toxic black mold or large infestations of standard mold, don’t try to remove it yourself. Call the experts at Stock Environmental Consulting – Mold testing Princeton first. We have the equipment and tools to safely remove this potentially dangerous substance from any structure.

 Mold Testing Princeton

Showing 2 comments
  • Orla O'Sullivan

    I have a question, please. A pipe burst in my holiday home and in the two weeks it took for me to get there and address the damage, black mold formed on the wall behind a fitted wardrobe in the bedroom. (Water flowed from the bathroom to the bedroom and some remained under the flooring and furniture for two weeks.)

    The wall has now been treated, re-plastered, etc., but I am wondering should I throw out the mattress that was in that room meanwhile. It does not smell of mold. It was on a platform bed, the base of which sat in wet.

    Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

  • Sara

    Protect the area through closing all rooms for avoiding cross-contamination this could be done through using duct tape and plastic sheets. Make sure that you provide moisture to the affected surface, this will help in halting the mold spores from travelling via air. Once you remove them store them inside a plastic bag and dispose them off. Afterwards run a vacuum and clean the area with a scrub dipped in solution of ammonia and water.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search